A Historical Museum was inaugurated by the City of Krakow in the same place where once operated the Pharmacy of the Krakow Ghetto
Back to Activities 2004
Today, Sunday July 11th, the Mayor of the City of Krakow Prof.Jacek Majchrowski inaugurated an Historical Museum in the same place where during WWII operated the Eagle Pharmacy; the only Pharmacy of all the Ghettoes.
The President of the Polish Heroes Remembrance Center, Dr. Marcos Resnizky, was resent at the ceremony and congratulated the Mayor of the City for the event. The Mayor Prof. Majchrowski gave his speech in front of the numerous audience congregated there.
The life and deeds of Pharmacist Tadeusz Pankiewicz were remembered during the moving ceremony, in which allusive poems were read. The ceremony was closed with a musical interpretation.
Among the public present were members of the Government, local authorities; members of the Polish-Jewish community; members of the Children Holocaust Association and survivors.
During the Nazi occupation a Polish Christian man called Tadeusz Pankiewicz, who was the owner of the only pharmacy that existed in the ghettoes’ area, ran the pharmacy.
Pankiewicz helped the Jew population of the ghetto providing them food and medicines and helping some others to escape.
In 1983, Pankiewicz was awarded as Righteous among the Nations, by the Yad Vashem Museum.
The Pharmacy is located in the Podgorze district, place where the Nazis confined 17.000 Jews between 1941 and 1943.On March 13th 1943 when the Nazis implemented the final liquidation of the ghetto, the Jews to whom the Nazis considerated "healthy" were sent to concentration camps in Plaszow and the rest was exterminated.
Some parts of the Spielberg's film "Schindler’s list” took place at the Krakow Ghetto.
Film directors Roman Polansky and Steven Spielberg contributed to the creation of this Museum, which is located at the Park that remembers the Heroes of the Krakow ghetto.